Program and Training Manager
The Scholars Strategy Network is seeking a full-time Program and Training Manager starting immediately. The network is a membership organization of over 900 scholars at over 190 universities and research institutions and organized into over 30 state chapters. Those scholars are supported by a highly professional, proactive, honest and supportive staff. Staff members are driven by a desire to improve policy and strengthen democracy – and do both by creating relationships between our members and journalists, policymakers, and civic leaders.
The Program and Training Manager will be responsible for assisting with the planning and implementation of policy engagement workshops, media trainings, and other SSN programs. The Manager will also be responsible for developing and managing the evaluation of the policy engagement workshop. The Program and Training Manager will work with the policy and communications teams to identify opportunities for program alumni to engage with policymakers and the media.
This position is full time and funded for at least one year. Salary for the Program and Training Manager will be $40k-$50k, commensurate for experience. The Scholars Strategy Network national offices are in Cambridge, Massachusetts.
- Promote SSN workshops to outside stakeholders.
- Secure commitments from SSN Chapters and outside stakeholders to host workshops.
- Recruit faculty and secure their commitments to take leadership as workshop trainers, and be able to support and monitor follow-through.
- Support SSN staff as workshop trainers and coordinate necessary materials and logistics.
- Develop and deploy evaluation tools for the workshops, and then help analyze completed evaluations to improve the workshops.
- Partner with SSN Development team to ensure sustainability of SSN trainings.
- Support workshop alumni in engaging with policymakers, civic intermediaries, journalists, and program mentors.
- Follow up with workshop participants to encourage them to join the network.
- Prepare scholars to speak with policymakers, staffers, leaders of civic organizations, and journalists.
- Arrange opportunities for scholars to develop relationships with policymakers and civic organizations.
- Prepare, organize, and manage materials, workshop communications, travel and logistics for workshops.
- Manage workshop webpages and workshop registrations.
- Coordinate with workshop hosts on logistics, such as food, space, and invitations to outside guests.
The successful candidate will be dedicated to SSN’s mission and fully understand how to make use of SSN’s structure as a voluntary, federated network of member researchers. The successful candidate will be a self-starter and able to work independently. Candidates must also be comfortable with occasional travel to SSN regional chapters and events.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience, or 1 year of experience and a relevant advanced degree
- Professional, positive, and trustworthy
- Proficient in Word, Excel, Google Docs, Dropbox, and Podio
- Able to learn new skills and assimilate new information quickly
- A good listener, a compelling speaker, a clear writer and an excellent proofreader
- Experience in program coordination or event planning
- Able to understand research and translate jargon into clear, simple language
- Attention to detail
- Ability to think creatively and see the big picture
- Comfortable with a fast-paced work environment
- Ability to motivate, persuade, and secure commitments from internal and external stakeholders
To Apply: Send cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample to Hannah Reuter, [email protected] and use Program and Training Manager – Your Name" in the subject line. Applications are rolling. An offer will be made as soon as the right candidate appears.
SSN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity. People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQ individuals, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.