Research & Policy Fellow
The Research & Policy Fellow will serve as a first point of contact for both prospective and existing members, and, as such, will be at the center of much of the organization’s work. The Research & Policy Fellow will engage with both early-career academics and distinguished professors to help them translate their work into resources that can be understood and used by civic organizations, policymakers, and the media. They will also work with the rest of the Research & Policy team to maintain accurate information on the membership and streamline internal processes.
This position requires a commitment of 40 hours per week - Late February through August 2018.
- Edit scholars’ two-page research briefs before final review by the network’s Founder and Director, Theda Skocpol
- Acquaint applicants to the mission, vision, and opportunities of the network through introductory phone calls
- Refer new and existing members to projects with the SSN policy and communications staff
- Ensure scholars with a diversity of academic, ideological, racial, ethnic, geographic, and experiential backgrounds feel welcome to the network
- Oversee the upload of new members onto the organization's website
- Capture and maintain accurate data about SSN membership
- Recruit scholars to help with specific policy projects, build momentum in a region, or bolster a specific network demographic
- Communicate organizational priorities and initiatives to the membership
- Connect members across chapters, projects, and disciplines
- Interest in and firm understanding of the mission and vision of SSN
- Bachelor’s degree
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to communicate courteously and concisely with high-station individuals
- Experience writing and editing for both academic and non-academic audiences
- Demonstrated attention to detail
- Strong organizational skills and ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Proficiency with and ability to adapt to digital information systems (i.e. Customer Relationship Management systems, databases, digital archives)
- Robust desire to learn
- Working knowledge of the legislative process and interest in policy
$15-20 per hour + benefits, commensurate with qualifications and experience.
How to Apply
Email a cover letter, resume, brief writing sample (non-technical academic paper, OpEd, blog post, or other essay format), and names and contact info of two references to Ben Miyamoto at [email protected] with subject line “Research and Policy Fellow - Your Name.” Applications are being reviewed on a rolling basis until positions are filled.
People of color, people with disabilities, LGBTQIA+ individuals, and women are encouraged to apply. SSN is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate on the basis of age, class, color, disability, ethnicity, faith, gender, national origin, race, sexual orientation, or gender identity.