Director of Communications and Civic Outreach, Scholars Strategy Network
Expertise & Civic Involvements
Leadership team member Avi Green fosters relationships between SSN members and citizens’ associations and journalists. Avi helps scholars:
• Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with civic groups
• Identify opportunities to share their knowledge, research findings, and perspectives with the public through media
• Develop messages and communications strategies
• Prepare for and debrief from television and radio appearances
• Create OpEds, press releases, and other communications materials
Avi is particularly involved in issue areas including grassroots organizing and civic engagement, voting rights, and money in politics.
From 2006 to 2012, Avi worked as Executive Director of MassVOTE, where he focused on searching for solutions to the problems that lead people not to vote. In that role, Avi helped develop large-scale, nonpartisan coalitions to get out the vote and fight voter suppression. From 2007 to 2010, Avi chaired the Boston Elections Advisory Committee, where he reformed poll worker training and recruitment. Avi serves on the Massachusetts State Ballot Law Commission and formerly served on the national leadership council for NonprofitVote. Avi studied grassroots organizing with Marshall Ganz at Harvard, and was a fellow in the Jewish Organizing Initiative in 2000. In that same year, Avi participated in the Florida recount. Avi studied at Columbia University (BA Religion) and Harvard University (MPP Public Policy).
Co-Authored with Erin O'Brien, SSN Basic Facts, January 2014
SSN Basic Facts, July 2013
- "On Beacon Hill, a Backroom Battle That Matters," Cognoscenti, April 29, 2015.
- "6 Reasons It's Hard to See Poverty at the State House," MassPoliticsProfs, April 23, 2015.
- Avi Green quoted on increased campaign donation limits in Joshua Miller, "State Campaign Contributions Set to Double" Boston Globe, December 27, 2014.
- "Dip in Crime Rates Can't be Credited Solely to Mass Incarceration," Boston Globe, May 11, 2014.
- "Young Women Voters Need More Than the Right to Choose" (with ), Talking Points Memo Café, November 11, 2014.
- "If We're Going to Have Voter ID Laws, Here's How to Make Them Easy," Talking Points Memo, April 30, 2014.
- "Technology Key to Improving NJ Elections" (with ), New Jersey Star Ledger, April 21, 2014.
- "What It Means Now that SCOTUS Has Dumped All 'Aggregate Limits'" (with ), Talking Points Memo, April 4, 2014.
- "Making Elections Run More Smoothly," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, January 30, 2014.
- "Heed King's Lesson: Only Congress Can Preserve Voting Rights" (with ), Talking Points Memo, January 20, 2014.
- "In Winner-Take-All Economy, Education is Not a Cure-All," Letters, Boston Globe, September 16, 2013.
- "Time to March: Action Needed to Protect Voting Rights Act," The Bay State Banner, July 19, 2013.
- "Lawmakers Have Opportunity to Transform Voting" (with ), Delaware Voice, May 28, 2013.
- Guest to discuss predictions for the 2010 local and national elections on WGBH's The Emily Rooney Show, November 1, 2010.
- Guest to discuss ways to increase voter turnout in Massachusetts on NECN, March 21, 2008.
Talks and Briefings
- "50th Anniversary of the Voting Rights Act," Museum of African American History, Boston, MA, August 2015.
- "Standing Our Ground: Civil Rights, Justice & The Law," Millennium Conversation for the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act; Sponsored by the Museum of African American History, Boston, MA, July 2, 2014.