Director of Civic Outreach and Development, Scholars Strategy Network
Expertise & Civic Involvements
Leadership team member Avi Green is a veteran grassroots organizer and policy advocate. Avi fosters relationships between SSN members and citizens’ associations to influence public discussions and public policymaking. Avi helps scholars:
● Build strong, mutually beneficial relationships with civic groups
● Find ways to use their expertise to support and inform grassroots advocacy groups
● Develop messages, strategies and pitches for media outreach
● Prepare for and debrief from television and radio appearances
● Write talking points, letters to the editor, press releases, and OpEds
In close cooperation with his colleague, Director of Public Policy and Legislative Affairs Linda Naval, Avi can also help scholars:
● Develop advocacy strategies
● Prepare written and spoken testimony
Avi will provide ongoing support to a number of SSN regional networks and be closely involved in issue projects in areas such as grassroots organizing and civic engagement, voting rights, the labor movement, environmentalism, and campaign finance reform.
From 2006 to 2012, Avi worked as Executive Director of MassVOTE, where he focused on searching for solutions to the problems that lead people not to vote. In that role, Avi helped develop large-scale, nonpartisan coalitions to get out the vote and fight voter suppression. From 2007 to 2010, Avi chaired the Boston Elections Advisory Committee, where he reformed poll worker training and recruitment. Avi serves on the Massachusetts State Ballot Law Commission and formerly served on the national leadership council for NonprofitVote. Avi studied grassroots organizing with Marshall Ganz at Harvard, and was a fellow in the Jewish Organizing Initiative in 2000. In that same year, Avi participated in the Florida recount. Avi studied at Columbia University (BA Religion) and Harvard University (MPP Public Policy).
Co-Authored with Erin O'Brien, SSN Basic Facts, January 2014
SSN Basic Facts, July 2013
- Avi Green quoted on increased campaign donation limits in Joshua Miller, "State Campaign Contributions Set to Double" Boston Globe, December 27, 2014.
- "Dip in Crime Rates Can't be Credited Solely to Mass Incarceration," Boston Globe, May 11, 2014.
- "Young Women Voters Need More Than the Right to Choose" (with ), Talking Points Memo Café, November 11, 2014.
- "If We're Going to Have Voter ID Laws, Here's How to Make Them Easy," Talking Points Memo, April 30, 2014.
- "Technology Key to Improving NJ Elections" (with ), New Jersey Star Ledger, April 21, 2014.
- "What It Means Now that SCOTUS Has Dumped All 'Aggregate Limits'" (with ), Talking Points Memo, April 4, 2014.
- "Making Elections Run More Smoothly," Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, January 30, 2014.
- "Heed King's Lesson: Only Congress Can Preserve Voting Rights" (with ), Talking Points Memo, January 20, 2014.
- "In Winner-Take-All Economy, Education is Not a Cure-All," Letters, Boston Globe, September 16, 2013.
- "Time to March: Action Needed to Protect Voting Rights Act," The Bay State Banner, July 19, 2013.
- "Lawmakers Have Opportunity to Transform Voting" (with ), Delaware Voice, May 28, 2013.
- Guest to discuss predictions for the 2010 local and national elections on WGBH's The Emily Rooney Show, November 1, 2010.
- Guest to discuss ways to increase voter turnout in Massachusetts on NECN, March 21, 2008.
Talks and Briefings
- "Standing Our Ground: Civil Rights, Justice & The Law," Millennium Conversation for the 50th Anniversary of the Civil Rights Act; Sponsored by the Museum of African American History, Boston, MA, July 2, 2014.